Prep time: 20 mins Bake time: 45 mins Difficulty: Easy
This is the sister to the Bacon Cake. I know what you’re thinking, why would you need anything other than Bacon Cake, buuut sometimes you want something sweeter! FYI, if chocolate doesn’t give you migranes you can fold semisweet chocolate chips into the batter instead of the fruit and end up with a killer chocolate loaf… I’ll just leave that information with you….
Rice flour MUST be mochi/sticky/short-grain/sweet/glutinous variety (it goes by many names). This can be bought in a big bag from any Asian supermarket for a couple of pounds, and you’ll be amazed how many of these shops are local to you once you look. Normal Western rice flour will not work with this!
Breakfast Fruit CakeCourse: Uncategorized
- Dry ingredients
200g sticky rice flour (aka mochi flour, sweet rice flour or glutinous rice flour though there’s no gluten in it)
100g tapioca starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
100g dried fruit (we used cherries and raisins)
3 tbsp light brown sugar
- Wet ingredients
3 large eggs
120ml milk (we used oat milk)
40g cooking oil
one two-pound (or 1kg) loaf tin lined with parchment
- Preheat oven to 180C (fan assisted ideally)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and cooking oil until well combined
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and pour in the wet mixture. Stir well until combined into a thick batter
- Add the fruit, and stir well until mixed in
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate small bowl and then fold GENTLY into the batter. You are hoping to ribbon it through but as this is difficult, a loose dispersal works well too
- Pour batter into parchment-lined tin, and sprinkle brown sugar on top if fruit variety. Bake for approx 50mins on bottom shelf of oven until golden brown and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Be aware, gf bread does not rise as much as normal bread does. It will still be delicious!